Saturday 25 June 2011

Open Days

Well, dear, beloved, treasured etc readers, as mentioned before, when I'm all big and grown up, I'm going to be a vet. This means University. Which is scary.
Just so you know.
In March I went to an open day type thing in Edinburgh, which wasn't a proper open day. It was Edinburgh just showing off their snazzy, very,very shiny new vet school.
It was REALLY Shiny. So needless to say, I was impressed, so much so that it confirmed the passionate  ambition of my 10 year old self, that was to attend this esteemed institution.

Yesterday I went to Nottingham, where I did an ultrasound on a rather hairy dog. Yes, me, an ultrasound. I saw it's heart move and it's aorta (or the vena cava?)  because I put the gel covered sticky thing in the right place. I felt AWESOME. I have power. Fear it.
They also let us loose with curvy needles and fishing twine. As implied, it did not go well. All in all, it as an epic day, and I really liked the campus and the course, not just because they let us play with the toys.Nottingham is renowned  for having a highly practical course; in which students are handling animals and famliarising themselves with basic procedures from the start. This is a major selling point, and most definitely the reason for Nottingham's popularity, despite the relative newness of the vet school.

And then, today, there was Liverpool.
Which, despite having a reputation as one of the best Vet schools in the country, didn't thrill me. At all.
The hospitals out at the Leahurst campus were nice and all that, but they just lacked the 'wow' factor. Then there was the faculty buildings in the middle of Liverpool, where you spend, pretty much, the entire first three years. It is not only grimy and in desperate need of refurbishment, but they admit that there are now too many vet students for it to contain. While they are trying to introduce a new curriculum, it's entirely possible they will not be able to by the time I start, meaning that I'd have to go through an antiquated course with little 'hands-on' experience until the fourth year.
It wasn't only the vet school that looked like it needed a bit of a scrub and update, but all the student union buildings and several others as well.
In fact, even though Liverpool was always going to be a fall back, I'm so un-awed by it, I'm doubting whether I'll apply at all.

Next week is Bristol! Really looking forward to it :)

Now I do promise I will finish the series of posts on my pets. Really.

I also promise to (at some point) do a post on Schistosomus Refluxus calves. Like my Penrose Drain post it will contain lots of highly scientific diagrams.

No comments:

Post a Comment