Thursday 4 August 2011

Generally Excited

and fed up with the boys. Who refuse to do anything for themselves, I get asked to make lunch for them even.

Recently read a brilliant book, by the inspiring Riaan Manser, "Around Africa on my Bicycle". He managed to circumnavigate the continent in about two years, the first person to do so. Since then he has also been the first person to kayak around Madagascar.
While the book documents a lot of the difficulties one would expect to face when undertaking such a task, and a few unexpected ones; what struck me most was just how unbelievably generous people were. In just about every country he cycled through he got offers of accommodation and meals, even when those doing the offering barely had anything themselves.
While there were people who seemed determined to cause as much difficulty as possible for the lonely traveler, and there were times throughout the journey when you had to wonder how he found the will to keep going, this all, to me, seemed to be more than made up for by the absolutely beautiful people that went out of their way, all over Africa, to try and be of some help.
Generally I'm one of those people who'll happily  believe the human race corrupt and, by nature, self centered, this was really awe inspiring. The thought that there may be people who are willing to give as much as they did, to a perfect stranger.

I'll instead revise my argument against the general attitudes of people and blame it all on capatalism, rather than just a lot of it.

Riaan definitely achieved his wish of being able to give his children something hear about, and even pass on to they're children.

Now that the tangent is finished...
Tomorrow I'm leaving for Natal to go diving! Will be gaining my PADI qualification and being introduced to something that I could only dream of until now. It's something I've wanted to do for years, while a little apprehensive, I'm struggling to think of a word to convey how excited I am.

Then almost straight after that  I'me going to see some friends I made last year while doing work experience. Going, again, from having a really chilled lazy week (well, two) to something hectic and that I'm really looking forward to.

My Stepmom is going to laugh at me after reading this...can already hear it


No comments:

Post a Comment